Monday, September 3, 2012

1-on-1 Meeting with Publisher Ben LeRoy

1-on-1 Meeting with Publisher Ben LeRoy (Adventure 'til Death)


Have Breakfast with Publisher Ben LeRoy


I’m the Publisher of Tyrus Books, a division of F+W Media. Before that, I founded Bleak House Books.
Before settling into a career in publishing, I delivered things, worked in warehouses, and installed carpet.
I listen to a lot of music from anywhere and everywhere I can get it. Punk. Hip-hop. Metal. Gospel. Country. Indie. Jazz. Post Rock.
Not including the things I’ve published, here are some of the books I’ve revisited a bunch:Deer Hunting with Jesus by Joe Bageanta book I would make mandatory reading for the entire United States if I was in charge; Franny & Zooey by J.D. Salingerthe most beautiful uses of language and my introduction to understanding the universe; To Kill a Mockingbirdby Harper Leea fictional account of the power of crime on the bystanders; and Shot in the Heart by Mikal Gilmore, the most powerful book I know about the effects and complications of crime in a tragic family history. My favorite section of The New Testament is The Book of James. I believe wholeheartedly that words without deeds are meaningless. And that’s why I try to get everywhere, see everyone, and do everything.
The history of baseball fascinates me, especially what it meant to the fabric of this country in the early 20th century. I’ve thrown my allegiance to the most doomed sports franchise in the world, the Chicago Cubs and Tyrus Books was named after my favorite baseball player of all time – Ty Cobb.
I believe in traveling to every corner of the world to get stories from locals. Some of the most valuable lessons I’ve learned were in places like the swamps of northern Florida or the coal country of West Virginia.
I sat on stage with the President. A year later I was in a bar with Mamie and Jesco White. I believe I am the only member of this fraternity.

-- donated by Ben LeRoy

No comments:

Post a Comment